Menu Close

Day 14 Dunkirk

The first thing we needed to do today was to go to the marina office, as we were woken by a knock on the window by one of the marina staff. We had arrived last night after the office had closed, so we needed to pay for our previous night’s mooring, and for today. Luxury awaited us with showers, flushing toilets, free Wifi, and washing facilities! There were even sockets in the laundry area to charge phones, and laptops (just how marinas should be). We have made use of all these facilities today.

We had just enough money left to buy two cups of coffee, so we needed to find an ATM, and a supermarket to stock up on provisions. We walked into the centre of Dunkirk which wasn’t quite as unpleasant as we had heard. Martin spotted a Wheatear, another first in the bird world for him, so he was pleased with that.

After visiting the ATM we decided to spend some of the money, and treated ourselves to a pizza, before walking back to the marina to our new home. The previous evening we met a Belgian family also in Dunkirk on a boat. They were pleased to look around our, and their little boy was most impressed with the steering wheel and the engine, even their little dog, happily snuffled about.

We have been closely monitoring the weather forecast, and it would seem that it will be unsuitable for a crossing in the near future. So rather than bridges and locks, we are now waiting for the weather instead. With all the delays that we have had, it is likely that we will be without a third crew member for our crossing, so calm seas are essential if we are to complete the crossing safely.

We settled down for an evening in the marina, when we were ‘bumped’ by a larger boat carelessly mooring in front of us (it was enough to leave some of its yellow paint on our starboard bow). As we watched, a group of middle- aged and elderly people alighted from the vessel, and all of them were aware that the boat had hit something. As one elderly gentleman passed he indicated to Martin that the Captain would come and see us. He didn’t, and a little later we saw him mooring the boat on the other side of the marina before leaving in his van.

View this evening of Port Du Grand Large. Our Tjalk can
be seen moored along the central pontoon.

We were in need of water again, so we walked up to the laundry room to fill up our canister, and charge our phones and my laptop. Before retiring for the night. By this time we realised that we might be here for at least another night.

Trundling back with our water canister.

scroll to top