After much deliberation on the size of the tank, we Chose to purchase a nylon 400-litre tank to replace the monster that we had removed. We also had to replace the pump, both were far smaller than the originals and would give us far more storage space in the hull than we had previously. It was much more difficult than I first expected to choose the size of the tank, as we needed a tank big enough to cope with all our water needs, but one that didn’t impinge too much on our hull storage space. In hindsight, I think we should have gone for something slightly bigger. We don’t have a shower on the boat yet, and the tank needs to be filled once a week even with us just using water for **washing up, cleaning, washing hands etc and water consumption (cooking, and drinks). We can, however, add on another tank to the original one if we need to (which I think we will).
The tank contains baffles (divisions). This type of tank is ideal for any situation where you are transporting water, because when you are moving the baffles prevent the contained water from running to one area and then de-stabilising the boat.
The nylon tank was much more manoeuvrable, meaning that Martin and I could manage to get it on to the boat by ourselves. It was also easier to fit being smaller, and it fitted between the joists which saved the trouble of having to remove any.
Once connected we had running water (albeit cold running water). Never the less we were a step further towards home comforts, and it was the end of carrying canisters of water from the standpipe.
**As we do not have space to stack dishes waiting to be washed or for air drying we found we were continuously washing up everything we used all day. For this reason we installed a slimline dishwasher which we have calculated uses less water than washing by hand.